Life of a Technology Coordinator

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Week 9

I have definitely liked blogs and wikis. My Adventures with Humphrey blog has been very successful with my 4th grade students - one item on my to do list is to think about other creative ways to use a blog particularly with the 2nd and 3rd graders. I need to spend some time with those two teachers and brainstorm ways that we can incorporate a blog into their curriculum. I have created a leslabs wiki which I just introduced to my teachers. When I get a chance I will offer a tech workshop on this tool. We have discussed the fact that it could be a great "one-stop" shopping place for all those internet sites we keep finding but then forget the urls. We could design it to be grade-level and curriculum related in order to make it a tool that they 1) want to use and 2) want to help expand. That will be a challenge.

As school budgets get tighter and tighter and software gets more and more expensive, I will be looking for ways to incorporate Web 2.0 programs in the school. There are many creative avenues waiting to explore but of course, having time to sit and think about them is a major problem. However, through this program I have been able to explore websites that I know I will use. It will be at a time when I am brainstorming with a teacher and "the light will come on!" Like Rollyo. I know this tool will be very useful. I'd like to use it as a search engine for my students. Possibly an image Rollyo and then Rollyos for particular topics the kids are researching.

One thing I did learn is that our school needs to start using Web 2.0. When I mention Web 2.0, most of the time I get a blank stare. It will have to be one of my goals to educate the staff on the possibilities of this incredible tool.

My experience...enlightening. I am constantly amazed at the creative ways people are using the web. It seems like everyday there's a new "You got to take a look at this!" moment. It's endless and I am truly grateful for all those creative people!

Thanks for a great course! It was everything I expected and more.

No comments: